This recipe broke a few milestones for me, firstly I had never made anything red velvet before or baking from a packet recipe before (as this has always seemed not wholesome or like true baking to me). After this it does appear there is a place for Betty Crocker packet recipes.
Recipe from Crafty Morning
- 1 box of red velvet cake mix (I used Betty Crocker)
- 120 g butter
- 3 T vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 225 g cream cheese
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 t vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180C and grease a brownie pan.
- In a bowl combine the cake mix, melted butter, oil and first portion of eggs. The batter should be very thick. Pour mixture into the brownie pan.
- For the cheesecake topping beat cream cheese, then add sugar. Beat in second portion of egg and add vanilla.
- Pour cream cheese mixture on top of mixture and spread into even layer. I sort of dollop-ed this on with a spoon.
- Using a skewer swirl the dolloped cream cheese mixture through the brownie batter. This should come out with swirls of white and dark red, it does not matter if you are messy about it.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.
- Cool in tin for 10-15 minutes before flipping onto a cooling rack to cool completely.